In the Garden: April 30th

All the pretty blossoms!

imageRedbud


imageApple blossoms


imageOur old lilac


imageFlowering pear


image

imageViburnum

imageSaucer Magnolia

image

Dark Purple {small} Bearded Iris

image

Garden Phlox {creeping}

image

Tulips

Advertisements

Chickie Love

I love my chickies, and they are getting so big!

The day they came “home.” Ours are spoiled, they are in the house right now.

{Black Ameraucana}

image

{Blue Ameraucana}

image

{Light Sussex}

image

{Lavender Orpington}

image

One Week

{Black Ameraucana}

image

{Blue Ameraucana}

image

{Light Sussex}

image

{Lavender Orpington}

image

I’m thinking about my order next spring…maybe some Jubilee Orpingtons {ouch $, but WOW}, a Black Orpington, or French Black Copper Marans??? I will definitely be checking out the county fairs for some varieties I can’t live without. Who knows maybe I will even get a duck or two. {They had some adorable ones at the Boone County Fair last year!}

My beautiful chickens came from Chicken Scratch Poultry ...{they also have a blog} go check them out!

Garden to Feed

image

Look at those brand spanking new gloves…they look way too clean!

So honest to God I am not a veggie person…but that doesn’t stop me from gardening for food. Last year I had a late start on everything…this year is different. This year I have a huge purpose, growth enough veggies for real dog food through out the winter. I broke out my new gloves a couple of days ago and started on the job.

First we yanked out all the dead veggie plants from last year…the green to the right in the picture is the rhubarb {I don’t eat it but we planted it for my grandpa}.

image

Then we put horse manure on the asparagus…note to self don’t let hubby get manure, he didn’t get aged. Supposedly you can put fresh manure as a topper but you can’t mix it in the soil. If the asparagus dies he gets to buy me a new one. {Lucky for me my neighbor has aged manure…I will definitely be taking some 5 gallon buckets up to here house!}

image

After a long lunch with daddy…4 hours, don’t ask. We started prepping the other side of the veggie garden. All tilled up. Now I don’t use a rototiller, I use this yard tool thingy that you can get probably any hardware store/garden center. I got mine at Menards for about $20. You can get them on sale but every time I tried last year it was sold out.

image

Then we headed to our local {okay we are nowhere, but they locally owned, close-ish, and have awesome quality} green house…Red Barn Nursery. Love them, I will be going back in a few weeks to get my peppers & tomatoes. As well as some herbs. We managed to get our broccoli, cauliflower, and onions planted.

image

Our Broccoli plants are…

  • Packman
  • Aspabroc {F1 Hybrid} Baby Broccoli

…Cauliflower…

  • Cheddar {Orange head}
  • Snowball

I don’t remember what variety onions we bought, but they are yellow and red. I also have potatoes but need to let them sit in the warm sun for awhile before cutting and planting. I bought 5lbs German Butterball from Seedsavers and 5lbs red potatoes from Red Barn Nursery {facebook}.

After all the excitement of veggies and manure…we had another project to tackle. Planting 20 bare root oak trees! Thankfully the helpers were motivated by pizza, candy, and ice cream!

image

image

image

I can safely say that I broke in the gloves! No longer are they a smidge tight and they are filthy!

image

Aged Girly-ness!

My A doesn’t have a room conducive to a four poster or a canopy bed so we improvised.
This piece is completely made of scrap wood in my garage. I used 2 of the bummy legs from the Bathroom Sweet, a 1×4 scrap, 1×6 scrap, 1×10 scrap and miscellaneous screws.

image

I started by attaching the scrolly pieces to a 1×4 with pocket jig and 2 inch screws.

image

I then screwed my 1×10 onto the scroll pieces and the 1×4. I used the pocket jig to then attach the 1×6 that had been stripped down to 4 inches to the 1×10. {This could be backwards but it worked.} After connecting the 2 boards I finished attaching the 1×6 {remember it’s stripped to 4 inches} to the scroll sides. It looks something like this…

image

image

Then I sanded it all down with 80 grit and my orbital sander and gave it a sloppy coat of Kona.

image
{As much as I dislike the look of my cheap linoleum floor, it is awesome about the abuse it gets. It also protects a gorgeous wood floor that I am working on refinishing.}
After the stain dried for a bit {dry in 15 minutes, stain in an hour} I slathered on a coat of flat ceiling paint.
image

It is definitely white…not a blue tone.

After it dried, I sanded…remember to not sand off too much. When you varnish it will look like you sanded more than you did. I think it’s because everything looks darker when wet.
This is what one coat of varnish on it looks like…
imageAt this point this project got stalled out by 3 weeks of sickness and 2 weeks of iffy weather and poor scheduling. But I finally got it up today!! Woot Woot!!

imageIt is screwed into the wall in 3 spots

imageThe little dots are where I put the 3d finishing nails for hanging these super sheers…

image…these sheers were a super bargain that we had used in her old bedroom.

imageThe finished result is fabulous and pink!

I cannot wait to get her bed frame and headboard done!